Old 07-07-19, 05:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Didn't put this in the 33 racer forum, it's not a race ride.

I'm talking about people doing whatever possible to filter through a group to get up front, then drifting back on hills. I'd totally see doing that in a race as a strategy.

But, this isn't a race. So, what's your opinions on this move for different types of group ride?

Regimented paceline: heck no, I would think
hammer or interval and regroup at stops: ????
fondos: ????

We've got someone doing this multiple times per group ride, to the extent they'll even go over the center yellow. And it's not just a filtering in anticipation of a hill to be in good position, it's in the last seconds before the hill and they'll run-up in a tuck or with power past the people pulling.
How is the group riding that someone would have to "filter through" or go over a yellow line to pass? I am not condoning crossing a yellow line but it suggests the group is all over the place and not generally cohesive. And, for some people who are not strong climbers, getting a roll toward a hill will put them in a position to be passed on the hill but not off the back so much. If they don't take the roll and start climbing from the back, they are toast and will not be able to keep contact with the group after a couple hills. Don't ask me how I know.
Likes For bruce19: