Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
1. so when you get a bike fit , is the fit specific to your bike , or will the cyclist get measurements such that I will know all the measurements for any future bikes I may get and not have to get a bike fit for each bike I may purchase ?

2. if the bike fit will provide me measurements for any future purchases , does it carry over to any type of bike I may get, (I.e road bike, hybrid , mountain etc ?

3. does the bike fit have to happen for each bike I get?

4. is it better to get a bike fit prior to purchasing a bike ?

5. I want to find a bike fitter that is also a physical therapist , what would they charge?

also I ride about 40 miles a week, 10 miles per session
A good fit will generally transfer well from one bike to the next of the same type of bike and the same type of riding. Once you have your fit numbers/measurements, there is information out there as to how to estimate how a given frame will fit, what combo of stem/spacers/bar will get you to your best fit on a given bike, and how to measure to check.

Going from drop bar road/gravel bikes to flat bar hybrids and street bikes, the fit will be pretty much the same as far as the saddle position, but the bar position will be a little different, obviously. A good fitter should give you recs for both, IMO (mine did).

Where it breaks down some in going from Road (or flat bar hybrids) to Mountain Bikes. If you are just using your rigid or hardtail MTB for riding on the street and bike paths, or as a commuter... sure, the fit is pretty much the same (or will work at the very least). But for actual "mountain biking" on technical singletrack it will likely not be. This is something for which the conventional wisdom has changed a LOT over the past 20 years, and especially in the past 5 years. 25 years ago, it was typical for folks to pretty closely re-create their road bike fit on their MTB. . Currently, the only aspect anything close to universally consistent is the saddle to pedal distance (leg extension). But you can cross that bridge when you get there. If you are not riding technical single-track, I would not worry about this.