Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I have gone through the threads here and have spent some time googling, and I could do more online if I must, but I have some very basic questions as someone not familiar with recumbants. I don't understand the references I keep seeing to "DF" bikes, or the advantages of short v. long wheelbase, or 2 v. 3 wheel bikes (other than the obvious balance issue), etc. Most of these posts seem to involve some sort of basic knowledge.

Is there a source, online or in a book, that can give a very basic primer on recumbents; types, purposes of each, comparisons, etc.? I don't need a recumbent for any particular reason but they look like a lot of fun but I don't know where to start.

It's not very complicated. I am not sure it is worth a book. But if you really want one, try https://www.amazon.com/Recumbent-Bic.../dp/189259059X. It's the only book on recumbents that I know of. I have never read it myself, but maybe I should. YouTube is another great resource.

DF means Diamond Frame..in other words, a standard bike.

A short wheel-base will result in a more maneuverable bike, maybe even a little skitterish. Good for racing and aggressive riding. A long wheel-base will result in more stable and docile handling and a wider turn radius. Great for carrying loads, and easy leisure riding. 3-wheel bikes are good for those who may have balance issues, or trouble putting their feet down to hold the bike up at stops, such as someone with MS, or leg numbness from diabetes. Other than that, they are just a lot of fun to ride. I love mine. I use it to run errands to Walmart and the grocery stores. I get a lot of positive comments from onlookers. They're just cool.....