Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 2,448 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I've been very proactive in trying to prevent getting this. Being asthmatic I'm 'high risk', so I'm going under the assumption it won't go well for me. We're all aware of social distancing and hand washing but imo there are a few other things we can do, specifically builidng the immune system. Here is some things I do:

Exercise a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y-2PtSxbCQ
  • Get at least 30 minutes of sunlight a day for Vitamin D
  • 8 hours of sleep
  • 2 Oranges in the morning (from my orchard)
  • Multivitamins, but not relying on it and trying to get it from natural sources (veggies, nuts, fruits, chicken)
  • 6g a day of spirulina (which may or may not help but the study is promising)
  • **EDIT** almost forgot. Breathe through your nose when possible. Its the natural way, and designed to filter. (Obviously we can't do that training)

If anyone else has something to add I'm all ears.
I liked the video and I have read a couple of the papers on immune response to exercise. I would add the sleep may be the most important aspect of all your points mentioned. In the book, Why We Sleep, Walker discusses the benefits of sleep on the immune system. For example, he recommends monitoring sleep and timing a flu shot when one has a high average of longer sleep sessions in a row to get a higher immune response and a better immunization.

What I am doing is making sure that my exercise routine does not impact sleep meaning if I do an evening session many times I am wired and do not sleep well. That may be an individual response but I deem it bad for me. On the other hand, I consider a morning workout with an afternoon nap ideal followed by a solid night of sleep. That may not be possible for many due to work schedules but since many are working from home, it may be more practical.
Likes For Hermes: