View Single Post
Old 01-29-21, 09:15 PM
Firedog91902

Bikes: Univega Superstrada, Serrota, Santana tandem, E plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
More errors. I've finally given up on E+'s electronics and gutted it.

I struggled with my E+ bike for 6 years. When it worked, nothing can compare with it's power and features. Much too often, unexplained, untraceable errors crop up. I can't trust it to ride or sell.
The rear hub motor has the controller built inside a powerful and very well constructed 3 phase brushless direct hub motor with 3 hall sensor. Bypass the controller (get rid of it), bring the 3 phase wire and 5 hall sensor wires out to a new, reliable, documented controller was my final solution.

Opening the motor to access to the halls and phase wires isn't easy. A collar is pressed on to the axle that must be first removed in order to access and release a cir-clip and open the motor. Trying to remove it, I stripped gear pullers even after heating the collar with a micro torch. Finally, I cut the collar with a cutoff blade on a hand held grinder. The collar's purpose is to keep the square pins connecting the torque arm to the axle in place. I think the collar, even cut, will still do that job after gluing the collar back in place with JB weld.

Once access is gained, it a simple matter to remove the 2 controller circuit board and the original power and control wires that pass through the axle. 3 heavy phase wires and the 5 hall sensor wire easily pass through 2 of the 3 holes and get soldered directly to the motor.

I bench tested it with both a 17a and 35a controller. Motor is smooth and quiet. I can now test several controllers at various voltages (36, 54, ?v) to find a performance, features and efficiency that suits my riding style.

Likes For Firedog91902: