no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
meh ... the thread makes it clear I'm not the only one that sees this behavior as ironic. Getting everybody to understand the irony isn't really the goal here - but it's helping me pass some hours while the swelling goes down in my knee and I can get back out on the roads (without a helmet dangling from my handlebars).

For the record, my whites are still a mess from 19 hours of gravel roads on Saturday ... so I won't be too quick to complement my work on the laundry.
I can do you one better with irony. I would ask parents if they wore a helmet when they rode when fitting their kids for a free helmet for the bike helmet give-away I organized. The parents would often say no they didn't, but their kid would have to when they rode; effectively saying their kid's head was worth protecting but theirs wasn't. There were a couple of the typical fat old guys that rode dorky cruisers mentioning they might think about getting one for the next time they rode their harley, and they'd look at my funny when I mentioned they should only do that if they've got something under the helmet worth protecting.

In the 10+ years since I started the helmet give-away I've seen a bunch of kids wearing these helmets out riding around in town, and it's a rare occasion when I see the parent wearing a helmet. I guess it's just another case of parents wanting their kids to do as they say, not as they do and chalk it up to the irony of life.
Likes For no motor?: