Old 08-27-19, 09:20 AM
Blightybiker

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix (circa 1977)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
This is not entirely true. A "stretched" chain will destroy a freewheel but as long as you change the chain before it gets beyond wear limits, your freewheel will live through many, many chains.

Before buying a new chain, you should measure your existing chain using a steel rule or a tape measure to determine if it is actually worn out. Sheldon explains how here:

If the chain is not worn out, then just clean it thoroughly and lube it.

Now, back to the original issue...

It's unlikely that a sudden problem getting into lower gears will have anything to do with having a worn chain. I'm wondering if you have another mechanical problem such as a bent part or a broken spring in the derailleur.
Thanks for the information! Last night I did a bit more checking on my bike. (It's difficult, I live in an apartment). I adjusted the "H" and "L" limiters, just by trial and error, with the bike resting on the floor, standing on its seat and bars. I seem to have got back the ability to get into the low gears but today I shall take it out for a short ride to see if it's really better. However, you know how it is, you start looking at one problem closely and start noticing other 'shortcomings'. The gear changes are not as "slick" as they used to be and the chain movement seems a bit "gritty and lumpy". Certainly the chain and cogs needs a good cleaning so now I need to get a chain tool to remove the chain.