View Single Post
Old 06-17-20, 02:36 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
That Gazelle looks awesome. But there is quite a but if rust around the rear hub. Looks like you have your work cut out.
I have an 88 Gazelle which uses the Sachs Torpedo 3 speed. The coaster brake was hardly working anymore because of all the hardened grease. I think this hub was never serviced. Opened it cleaned it and re-lubricated it again. Now it works like new.
I have had bikes with Sachs 3 speed hubs since the 70s. I grew in Germany and they were everywhere back then. My favorite is the Sachs/SRAM Spectro 3x7. I have got this hub on 3 bikes. Basically bullet proof. However I had a clutch failure and a flange failure on on one of mine about two years ago. Since the local bike stores rejected to work on the internal gear hubs I decided to learn it myself. These are really no rocket science. So whenever one pops up cheap on ebay I grab it since parts are getting rare.
I have been playing around with the 3-speed and 5-speed models a lot lately so I can probably take it apart and back together in under an hour.
This one however is getting a full disassembly first and deep clean in a sonic cleaner. Let's hope the insides aren't too bad otherwise I will have to pick up a replacement hub somewhere.
They are cheap and common around here so that shouldn't be a problem. I had one of those Sachs 3-speed hubs on a Koga-Miyata. Worked pretty well though the brake arm was a bit weird.

Though when looking at an example I came across a set of the modern 5-speed RXL-RD5 and matching 90mm XL-FDD dynohub front and rear hubs, so I might just rebuild the wheels with modern hubs.
But let's just allow the WD-40 to do its work first and take a look at it this weekend.