Old 07-01-20, 01:20 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would go with White Industries or Phil Wood hubs personally ...
Have considered White Industries, with their MI5 hub.

Of course, the frame/fork and hub/axle need to be compatible. I like the White Industries' strength, and the weight on the components over the Phil Wood and some others. The Bitex hubs are very strong reasonably light, and they're in silver and look to support the correct axle/skewer size.

Also me personally would find a different frame, for some reason Rivendell just doesn't do it for me anymore. There are tons of great U.S. builders that could build something strong and lighter weight, plus I personally am not a huge fan of quill stems and the ones that are a little better look terrible.
For me, the geometry's right. In puny-sized frames, which is for the most part what I look at, it's one of the few with a decent stack/reach, longer CS and longer WB, while maintaining a low enough SOH. (Lots of frames have part of that, but miss on much, in terms of sizing that works for me.)

Am also considering a Rodriguez build, either their Adventure or UTB series. A good bit more expensive than the Riv Clem, once the custom geometry alterations are made, to basically get similar geometry the Riv Clem has. A better steel choice, and probably better build quality on the frame/fork.

As for off-the-shelf frame sets, the smallest Kona Rove ST seems close in terms of geometry, though with a tad long TT and a bit shorter CS and WB. Love the Velo Orange Piolet frame's functional specs, but the darned TT is far, far too long for me even in the now-discontinued XS sizing. Otherwise it might work, in a pinch.

9 speed is fine but it can be a little hard to find quality stuff these days. Plus most of the stuff out there doesn't do the wide range stuff as well and if I want wide range I want 11 speed so I don't have such big gaps or I would lower down the gearing on everything to give me similar range without maxing out derailleurs. I could try the new Microshift Advent groupset or BOX but honestly I like Shimano just fine.
Have considered the MicroShift group set, their XLE 11 (2x11spd) config. With a 34/24 crank and their 11-46T cassette, it certainly gets the low gearing low enough for me. Am not that familiar with the Box line, but I wouldn't be averse to either, or Shimano. Again the ultra-low gearing is a hard requirement, for me; and an anodized Silver look is the aesthetic I'd prefer, if it can be gotten with gearing suitably low.

I would also go with Paul levers for the brakes, I mean why not? They have purple anodized, what more could you want?
Am open to the Paul levers. Looking to keep the price and weight down, where reasonable, so long as quality, durability and utility can be retained. Nice stuff, definitely.