View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 07:09 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I've been practicing intermittent fasting for close to 2 years. I only eat once a day now about 95% of the time though I will eat if I feel like I need food. When I first started even 4 hours without some kind of calorie and I would start feeling weak. After stretching that fasted time longer and longer over time, I stopped feeling hungry and weak between meals and actually have more energy than before with the exception of needing an hour or two after a meal when I will feel my weakest. I think a diet of foods high on the glycemic scale will force anyone to eat frequent meals or suffer fatigue. If you want to study it in depth, I suggest looking into what triggers insulin, how insulin controls blood sugar ,and how blood sugar levels effect performance and hunger.

I don't think the human race would have survived if we couldn't operate physically after 12 hours without food. There are also huge health benefits, especially for older people when the body enters into autophagy, which won't happen if we are consuming calories every couple hours.
Fasted rides of about 6 hours or less and I do fine with no loss of energy. I have no need to try to push my body to collapse just to prove how far or long I can cycle. I cycle for fun and my health. Someone pushing the limits will obviously have different needs and should know and understand those needs before even striving to those levels if they want to stay healthy.

Last edited by RH Clark; 07-05-20 at 07:16 AM.