View Single Post
Old 07-06-20, 08:01 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Trend towards heavier more aero frames?

I'm wondering if this is just a Trek thing, or something happening in the industry in general? When the new Domane came out, the only knock I read about it was how much heavier it had gotten. When I compare it to a couple of other common endurance frames (Scott Addict, Canyon Endurace), it is definitely on the beefier side. Now that the new Emonda is out, even at the top end it doesn't seem incredibly light weight. I know that the advent of disc brakes has added some weight, but I'm curious if there is some data demonstrating that the aerodynamic benefits overcome the weight penalty. The new Emonda in particular has made me wonder about that as it's marketed as their climbing bike. I would not be as surprised to see a Madone, a Venge, or an Aeroad pick up weight, but adding weight to climbing bikes seems counter intuitive. (FWIW, I neither work for Trek nor have any particular investment in them - it was just the drop of these two bikes that made me start wondering). Is this trend unique to Trek, or is this happening across the board?
Likes For Plainsman: