Old 07-31-19, 05:00 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Tyre Choice - - Would It Have Made A Difference?

Had my 1st ever nasty accident today ... came to a turn I've cycled many, many times before but goodness knows why my front wheel went and without a millli second to think about it I was on the ground .... really smacked my head and all I can say is ... thank the big man above I was wearing a helmet as my head took a seriously major impact and it's the bit of me that's not injured. .... maybe I should re-phrase ..... no more injured than it was before the accident

I was riding with Vittoria Voyager Hyers which are pretty slick down a paved farm track and as we turned into what becomes more of a "gravelly" road .... as it's been a dry summer here there was a fine layer of dirt and my front wheel just went and I was down before I could blink.

In that sort of situation and what was obviously a very loose / slippery surface .... would something like Gravel King SK's of made a difference or do you think the outcome would have been the same and it wouldn't have mattered what tyre you were running????

My friend was right behind me and slammed his brakes on and almost ended up worse than me as he skidded / fell on the same surface ... I've posted a couple of pics of some of the damage although I've dressed my injury's so you can't see quite how bad they are but he's a Paramedic and it's his hand with the serious injury so he's taken himself off to hospital as his tendons were showing.

He told me to come home, jump in the bath and soak for quite a while so the area softens up before rubbing it to try and get the grit that was embedded into me out ... the Mrs is convinced there's still a load of muck under the flap of skin on my elbow having done this.

Worse part for me is I've had both hips replaced and whilst I had cargo shorts, cycling shorts and underpants, one of my hips took the main impact (shared with my helmet) ... because it was covered it's showing no signs of injury apart from swollen so sitting here with an Ice Pack on it but just hoping it's nothing more than some nasty bruising.

Really kind of shakes you up after something like that and sitting here in quite a lot of pain as I type this!!!

Painkillers and bed me thinks although I think I'm going to look at tiddly winks and snakes and ladders for future pursuits.

Last edited by TMonk; 08-01-19 at 07:16 AM.