View Single Post
Old 09-26-05, 01:03 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Metabolism excuse, help me make sense

I understand that some people (diabetics or thyroid problems for instance) may have a hard time metabolizing carbohydrates. I know the feeling of being hungry all the time. I know how easy it is to let things slip because I did it myself, but I want to know one thing.

I just watched a show on Discovery Channel about an 84lb. baby with a genetic disorder. Apparently this baby eats normal and gains weight like crazy. What I want to know is this. It takes a certain amount of energy to move x number of pounds x number of feet. There's an actual caloric requirement to do so. Forget metabolism for a moment. If you have to ride a bike connected to a dynamo to raise 100 grams of water by 20 degress, you have to put out 2000 calories. This is assuming 100 percent efficiency in the system. How can people with metabolic disorders eat 2000 calories a day, do 2000 calories of work, and still gain weight? Can they? If they can doesn't that mean that their bodies are more efficient than the laws of physics?