Old 09-30-05, 12:04 AM
akarius
~

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
You've mentioned a couple of different disorders that may be present individually or in combinations within the same person. The carbohydrate disorder is known as G6PD deficiency where the enzyme glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase is lacking. This is produced by red blood-cells which aids in the metabolism of CHO. The cause of this disorder is actually some other disease which kills red blood cells and triggers a cascading downward spiral because G6PD is also used in protecting red blood cells. The result is excess CHO that's not metabolized and converted to fats, and weight-gain results.

You've got me curious with the G6PD deficiency. I thought that G6PD deficiency was usually a short-lived episode that is much more prevalent in neo-nates? I understand that using mesoporphyrin can treat its effects. Now I know that the original poster did not say that this was the case, just that it was a "genetic disease".

If it is a thyroid disorder would that not be easily taken care of by oral thyroxin? I am curious that if these were the cases why was the baby not treated earlier with these interventions? I know there are many things we do not know about this baby only what the poster has said. The parents could not have brought their baby to the doctor because of costs ect...

You post has sparked my curiosity and I was wondering if you could expand G6PD deficiency hypothesis