View Single Post
Old 09-18-16, 11:51 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Streamlining my fleet to four bikes from...around ten, is taking a bit as 25" frames for sale on the wrong side of cycling season means they will be with me for a while longer.

In the streamlining effort, I took a good look and thought at things I wanted to keep as they relate to beauty, frame material, and how they ride. The Peloton has been a revelation, and is now firmly my top bike, blowing my very good Cannondale out of the water. It's a bit magic as many of the crucial components and setup are the same, it's simply a different frame material. The Peloton was fast before, if a bit jittery, and now all is sublime. That bike was the catalyst for the decision to downsize. The 66cm C'dale frameset will be for sale on CL soon...

The Ross stays, of course, with her Chorus/Record/other mix.

I really enjoy the 531, but was tired of 9s Veloce on it. And with the SS being a bit harsh in that setup, where my Fuji in similar guise is not, it was time to combine a beautiful and comfortable frame with 10s DT Dura Ace and Suntour SP brake levers and calipers. I am nearly done with it today as I've been going at it over a few days here and there, and the results are very pleasing. I picked up a 10s Record cassette (in he-man 11-23 size) for super cheap and have confirmed that my 10s DA shifters shift it 100% fine. I now need to find a lockring for an 11T high gear as I am using one for a 13T+ and the chain sits up on it making things a no go. I like the last-gen alloy Record/Open Pro wheels and wanted to keep them as long as possible.

My 4th bike is the last to build up, and getting 10s 7800 DA. Did some component fitment last night and that is going well. Will then fully clean, wax, and touch up the frameset and build up. We're winding down on the dry and warm days, so my three dry day bikes will have to find their time in pockets.