Old 12-02-18, 07:57 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I agree with you that share scooters/bikes shouldn't litter sidewalks, parking lots, roads, highways, or anything else. I think the same about cars. I also have thought of ways for scooters and bikes to be stacked more neatly so they take up less space. I can't do the same for cars and trucks, because they are huge. They require wide lanes and parking spots that have multiplied due to sprawl-development. Still, I think there is a place for automotive transportation, even personal motorized transportation, but it will be easier to make it smaller once autonomous vehicle systems make people feel safer. Currently people want larger vehicles because they expect crashes. They EXPECT crashes! To reduce the volume of all this automotive metal and pavement, people have to become absolutely comfortable that they can walk or bike anywhere without the threat of being smashed by a car or truck. When that happens, it will be much easier to reduce the total volume of metal and pavement, just like it will be possible to reduce the mess of share scooters and bikes once they are equipped with folding handlebars and neatly-stackable designs so that ten or more share bikes/scooters can fit in docking stations every block or two, the same way shopping carts do.

The simple point is none of the speculation on why people like cars or the size of the cars has anything to do with dock less E-scooters verses dock less E-bikes. Link after link has been posted stating the concerns of people living where this deluge of equipment shows up in the middle of the night and starts blocking normal bike racks, doorways and planters. It doesn't matter if the things are stack-able if people are not picking them up and dropping them off in the same places. None of the complaints people have posted about these scooters has anything to do with big cars and trucks, trains, buses or motorcycles. It has to do with them blocking public access or being parked on private spaces or of someone dumping a product onto the public without license or permission. It has to do with a bad plan. The public will decide how they want to get around town not a startup company that would be just as happy dumping candy flavored E-cigs at news stands. Yes that was hyperbole but I like the comparison.

It isn't like we aren't getting updates on these scooters almost every week.

https://www.cnet.com/news/electric-s...and-accidents/

Last edited by Mobile 155; 12-02-18 at 08:34 PM.