Old 02-12-19, 08:42 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have the same experience and the same frustration. Your picture makes it clear – its the rim bed that is preventing you from mounting the tires.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I guess I will wait for the Kool Stop, but it seems like this tire is just too small. Nothing doing:
I’ve got the exact same problem with some schwalbe’s (35mm) There is just know way they are going on some of my older wheels without breaking something. Well, I’ve broken about 7 pedro levers. It depends a lot on the wheel. I think with newer style wheels with a deep gutter running in the center of the wheel they will mount fine. But on a wheel more than a couple of years old – with a shallow rim bed – it just isn’t going to happen for me.

Originally Posted by tiredhands
They absolutely require a Kool-Stop tire jack to install, in any size. I've tried a couple 32s in both SK and file tread as well as 43.
I'm a huge fan of the tires. Been on a set of 32s in a file tread for a year for commuting, gravel, and fast club rides. Only flatted once with a snakebite because I was playing around with low tire pressure. Once that was dialed, it's been smooth sailing.
I'm sure they won't handle goat heads, not much can I hear. It's probably worthwhile to run a tube with a removable core and add some Stan's sealant. Then you can have your supple ride with no headaches.
How do you get a snake bite on a tubeless tire? Or are you running tubes?
FYI, sealant doesn’t protect against snake bites. I’ve learned the hard way. But the centrifugal force of when riding keeps the sealant away from the snake bite area.