Old 03-26-19, 09:28 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Please tell us your age. 58

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Once I really got the bug about 8 years ago (prior to that just had an entry-level hardtail and entry level road bike--decent rides, but ...average) I went all in on singlespeeding for about 4 years--singlespeed 29r mountain bike, and singlespeed Surly Cross Check as a "do everything" around town bike. However, I live right at the base of the mountains, and I have since gone back to gears. Now I sometimes ride the Cross Check (now with gears), but 90% of the time is spent on a Kona Rove ST, 650B. On road and off, about 50/50. "Road Plus" FTW

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No. Just eat as healthy as I can, and eat a lot as I am a super hard-gainer, high metabolism, and I start losing mass if I don't eat. The only somewhat regular post-ride supplements for me are nice big and flavorful IPA's

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I get the occasional over-use injury which slows me down from time to time, and a hernia operation a few years back which took me out for a while, but I have better aerobic fitness now (thanks to riding) than when I was 30 and just going to the gym, lifting weights, not doing this degree of cardio.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Biked on and off all my life on and off but not to this level. Really got hooked again over the last decade.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Occasional over-night creditcard tours. Bikepacking is next--all geared up with bags, etc.--just need sleeping gear. But mostly 2-5 hour rides. Very lucky to live right next to the San Gabriels here in SoCal--excellent riding.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? 4-5 times a week. On road and off so mileage various greatly.