View Single Post
Old 04-05-19, 12:16 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
It's not like a hybrid can't go past 10 miles.

I have ridden my hybrid 40+ and managed to survive.

But I find that above 10 miles I'm happier on a more efficient bike.

While I like the upright riding position of the hybrid, longer than 10 miles starts to hurt my back from sitting up. The upright riding position also has more aerodynamic drag. Not enough that I notice in 10 miles but I'll notice in 50. And the weight distribution is more on my butt which starts to get sore after longer rides. And the gearing on my hybrid just isn't maximized for speed so I have to pedal harder to keep moving.

On my gravel bike I'm more hunched over which kind of feels weird for that first 10 miles. But I'm more aerodynamic so I'm not using more energy to push my body through the air than I need to. Again over short distances this is a non issue. Over long distances an extra watt here and there adds up. Also leaning forward more gives me better weight distribution between my hands and butt so my butt isn't as sore. And the gearing is just more efficient for keeping moving at cruising speed (though not as good at getting going from a dead stop as the lower geared hybrid)
Likes For Skipjacks: