Old 05-16-19, 12:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
As an aside, people stink in Europe and change much less frequently than in the US. I'm OK with that.
I usually don't care for the US vs. Europe comparisons because the context is so different that what works there wouldn't really help us, but the point here about the way people smell is something I can embrace. People in the US wouldn't even need to adopt European levels of body odor tolerance. Just allowing people to smell like people would be a huge leap forward. I try not to offend with my body odor and I feel like by the time I'm smelling it it's probably unpleasant for the people around me, but my attitude is that if I don't notice my own smell then the people around me can probably tolerate it.

I have showers at work, but I don't generally use them. Nor do I shower every day at home. I sweat on the way to work, so I change clothes when I get here. It gives me a good excuse for wearing bike-specific clothing, which I think is more comfortable to ride in. I don't smell bad enough that anyone says anything to me, and I haven't noticed anyone giving me sideways looks. My wife would definitely tell me if I smelled bad at home.

A strange thing I've noticed is that I start to develop BO more quickly if I don't bike to work for a day or two than if I do. My theory is that sweating cleanses your pores and as long as you get the sweat off of your body in a reasonable time the net effect is positive.