Old 05-19-19, 08:56 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
while travelling in other countries, I have considered getting an extension something or other and having an orange flag or whatever, but never actually did because overall, drivers were generally respectful enough for space.

Looking back at decades of bike riding, I have actually personally found that in North America there have been way more incidents of drivers passing by so close , for no reason, that it is clear to me that the attitude of self righteous/aggressive thing towards cyclists is very much prevelent in a "car culture" society --although I realize that it is still rather rare in the big scheme of things.

Ive ridden in France a lot, in my area of Canada, and in parts of Latin America, and the vast majority of people are very respectful and patient.

I have, however, had truck or car drivers pass so close to me , when no one was coming in the oncoming lane, that it had to have been a clear decision to scare the cyclist, but I realize that there are a..holes everywhere, but in an area of only "car culture", it stands to reason that more people will have less understanding of what they are doing, and/or to NOT do things that are socially unacceptable, like buzzing a biker just for a giggle or because you are pissed off at the world.

bottom line--the more that regular people bike, the more understanding and patience they will have with cyclists when they are driving their vehicle and passing someone on a bike.
Thankfully in my region, cycling has been growing in popularity, so more and more and more regular people who also drive vehicles ride themselves.

sorry to hear of that story, the sad thing is that everywhere, there are overly tired truck drivers that are in a rush and not paying enough attention. These unfortunate situations happen here also once in a while, with tragic results.

last thing--using a mirror is so important. When I hear a truck coming, I keep an eye on it, and that second or two heads up of Joe Blow trucker crowding the edge of the road hopefully means I am looking and can react to it.

so please everyone, use effective mirrors.
Likes For djb: