View Single Post
Old 05-22-19, 12:41 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For a real vicarious thrill of dooring, see this video (link).
Originally Posted by Korina
@Jim_from_Boston, but was she wearing a helmet???
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Always with this, "The cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet."
Frankly my dear…

Not to be a Captain Bringdown, @Korina , but to be fair, recently I took another subscriber to task for a seemingly flippant reply to a serious situation:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Standing in my front yard this morning I saw an uncomfortably close call...

Had the truck been two seconds earlier there is no doubt in my mind this would have been a crash. The cyclist doesn't wear a helmet
Originally Posted by BobbyG
And thank goodness it didn't end worse or that you had to witness anything like that.
Originally Posted by goldensprocket
Did he at least wave to you?
Originally Posted by goldensprocket
Look, the fact that you can't communicate on the forums like a normal person is no excuse for you not understanding a long-standing BF joke. Please pay attention in the future.
…If I LIKE a post because it is witty, I assume the writer knows I got the joke. e.g.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. I didn't see anyone during this 25 mile MUP ride that started pre-dawn. I did, however, see a giant porcupine. He wasn't on a leash and didn't wave.
Now that’s funny .
Nonetheless, since you are concerned to ask about wearing a helmet in that video, I don’t know.

Here is the original thread from 2014, Doored by passenger exiting a cab?.” I couldn’t find mention of a helmet, but she was taken to task for her actions in several of the replies.
Originally Posted by achoo
The more I look at this, the more I think the cyclist was an idiot...

Cyclist tries to squeeze between stopped cab and curb and is surprised when a passenger gets out of the stopped cab.

She not only put herself in a blind spot where the passenger opening the door simply could not see her, she put herself in that blind spot where there was no expectation whatsoever that she'd be there. It's not like she was in the blind spot of a car while both were flowing in moving traffic.

Had she been trolling for a dooring she couldn't have done it any better.

On edit - and the more I think about it, the dodgier she seems. Geez, the first words out of her mouth were to ask for his personal information, as if the dooring was no surprise.

I seriously doubt if I were surprised by a dooring I'd pop up off the pavement like an overly-caffeinated Weeble, instantly demanding identifying information to the point of knowing and very, very quickly stating the person opening the door committed a traffic violation
Originally Posted by FBinNY
OMG, you sent me to look at the video again...

Any sympathy I might have had for the cyclist is gone, and I can understand how the people involved could feel that cyclists have become arrogant and out of control. (by the way, the cyclists opening words didn't help).

Regadless of any specipic laws, people have to use some common sense. A cab stops at a hotel. Common sense says someone is going to open the door to enter or exit. Parked at a curb a passenger wouldn't expect a cyclist on sliding past on the cub side.

This accident could also have been prevented by the cab driver by stopping closer to the curb preventing the cyclist from doing a dumb thing.

But in the final analysis, cyclists can't and shouldn't count on others doing everything possible to protect them from their own stupidity.
As an avid, year-round, decades-long cycling tourist and commuter, when driving I have to think hard to remember to look out for cylists on both sides, and we have bike lanes in our neighborhood. I'm better when a passenger, especially in a cab.

I guess your mindset changes when you enter the "cage."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-22-19 at 12:50 PM.