View Single Post
Old 05-27-19, 02:03 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here's an update. About a month ago, I purchased a Specialized Roubaix Comp with Di2 Ultegra. That is a quantum leap from the Giant Roam 1. Whoa!!!

When it came to pedals, I asked the salesman to recommend some good platforms, and he set me up with RaceFace "Affect" pedals. These have multiple metal pins. In combo with some good light hiking shoes, they worked very well.

Then I read a post by DrDyno (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...ss-pedals.html) wherein he cites his first experience with clipless pedals, and thought, "I'm going to give it a try, after all!"

Bought Shimano M540 SPD pedals and SH-ME400 shoes, along with SH-56 multi-directional cleats.

So today, after a bit of snapping-in (and out), I very easily rode away and practiced dismounts for a few minutes.

Then I rode 20 miles on my usual neighborhood route, stopping here and there for more practice, water, and butt breaks. All in all, a completely satisfying experience.

Here's what I noticed: first, easier to clip-in than to adjust/readjust my feet on the platforms when starting and riding; second, found myself spinning more, mashing less, which translated into about 3/4 mile per hour faster, even though it was windy; and finally, felt some additional muscles being put to work (which I can feel a bit more now - minor soreness).

Waited a month and logged a few hundred miles on the new bike before this transition, so I was totally comfortable and familiar with the Roubaix. And, as a motorcyclist, I have a habit of mentally preparing for stops; that seemed to help.

Followed all of the sage advice about starting with very little tension in the pedal adjustments, too.

Last edited by rnothog; 05-27-19 at 03:49 PM.
Likes For rnothog: