bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvestru
Thank you for the assessment!

Somebody suggested that the equipment was changed over time and some parts did not came up with the frame. What's your opinion?
Also, from your perspective, what manufacturer do you think my bicycle is part of? So far people are suggesting Motobecane, Mercier, St Etienne cycles, Gitane, Meral.... That's cool and all but since there are lots and lots of models it is very hard for me to pinpoint a brand. I'm at the beginning regarding vintage road bicycles.

To sum up....but not sure about all aspects:
  • could be French - Gitane, Mercier, Motobecane, maybe Meral or unknown/custom;
  • late 70s - early 80s;
  • could be Vitus 888 tubing, Super Vitus? - the seat post diameter measures 26.4;
  • rear dropouts read Vitus - some people suggested that it had chromed rear socks and it was repainted - not sure;
  • lugs look like Bocama?
  • under-bracket cable guide alloy
  • Belleri handle bar, Mafac Racer, Simplex derailleur and shifters, Millard M M Atom quick release, Normandy hubs, etc.

Thank you kindly,
I'm skeptical that it's Vitus 888 as that is a straight gauge tubing set and I'm thinking that this is a little nicer frame than that. Other than that, I can't tell you much. I'd fix up and ride it. Here is some info on Vitus tubing sets.

Vitus history by Norris Lockley