WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Terry Classic questions

My youngest goes to college this fall and in Canada (and presumably elsewhere) at the start of the college and university season motor vehicle and bike thefts abound. I was building up a pink Fiore 12 speed for him, figuring that it was rough enough that it wouldn't catch the eye of a thief. I got talking to a fellow who wanted the Fiore desperately and now (N-1 +1 = N). I have a Terry bike, that doesn't fit anyone in my household...

Anyway. I once thought all Terry bikes were 700c/24in but recently saw a 700/700 bike. That bike owner said it was a hand made frame (custom frame?) and since that was the extent of my Terry knowledge I assumed all Terry bikes were made in the USA by Terry, in her shop. Owner presented this one as a Classic 14 speed bike and while I believed that the Classic was a 14 speed I questioned if it was a real Terry. Having recently encountered an MKM faked to appear to be a Pogliaghi I was a little puck shy. This bike had Terry and Classic painted on it and yet the stickers said "Made in Japan", it had drop bars and the only online photos I had seen of the Classic model showed a flat bar bike (I know bars can be switched) but, when presented with the bike, I said, it's a nice bike but it's not a Terry - and got it for a reduced price. Since then I found reference to Terry having frames made in Japan at one point and even if it isn't a Terry it's still a nice bike.

Serial is S8B5689

Made in Japan sticker that confused me

Brakes are Royal Compe 2 (unsure of levers which have a stylized letter A)

Cranks are Deore triple
RD and FD are Deore
Headset is Falcon (haven't checked the BB yet)

Lugs seems neat and clean

Frame is tagged Tange 1 double butted tubes but forks are simply marked Tange.

So, is it a Terry? - I can always email her and find out if no one here knows.

If it is a Terry does anyone know what the original specs were (does anyone have a catalog I can reference)? Just wondering what has been switched out.

Lastly, who made it??

Last edited by WGB; 06-26-19 at 08:18 AM.