View Single Post
Old 01-24-09, 09:01 AM
corefaction

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at getting some convertible mittens, since the concept seems like the best choice for combining warmth and dexterity. Most of those that I've seen online are fleecy or knit like these ones—warm but not necessarily wind/water proof—and I don't know how well they would hold up in inclement weather:

Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Let me just plug insulated wool convertible mittens. I found a pair similar to the ones attached at a thrift store. They are wool outer, with a thinsulate insulation and a leather palm patch. The mittens fold over into fingerless gloves which are handy for zipping up your jacket, locking up, etc.

They aren't windproof, but the combination of the wool outer, the insulation, and the mitten design has kept my fingers cozy down to the single digits F.

Link to ones at campmor, $10

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
I'm thinking weather hardy like ski and snowboarding mittens, but so far I haven't come across any convertible mittens quite like that.

To me, this combination of features would make for some great cold weather cycling (and all-purpose) hand wear: hefty, durable, wind and waterproof, suitable down to single-digit temps (F) or lower, with a grippy palm surface, close-fitting finger holes, a fastener to keep the flip-top open, a thumb wipe and reflective stripes on the back of the hand, and maybe some palm padding for comfort on the bars. Something to clip them together and attach them to a jacket would be nice, too.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Am I over-thinking or overdoing the features?