Old 06-11-19, 08:22 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Moving slowly

When I was a kid, I so loved long car rides, because I could be free to observe everything.

As an adult, when 99% of the time I am in a car, I'm driving.... my attention is completely held captive by this weird combination of a) occupation with driving rules and safety and b) the massive over-stimulation of constantly flying around at speeds of 30mph+. I became aware that I had become de-sensitized to the world around me that I used to enjoy as a kid riding shotgun by decades of fast speed travel in the driver's seat.

One of the things I love most about commuting on my bike, and just riding in general, is that I don't feel like the world is whizzing past me anymore. Even when taking a fast bike ride, it sometimes leaves me feeling a little sad that I don't have more time to look around as I go, even to stop and poke around or enjoy a stream in the park.

It's delightful to become re-sensitized by means of slowness. It's like waking up after a frustrating dream, or coming out of a depression you didn't realize you were in.