View Single Post
Old 05-06-18, 02:23 PM
Calvinluther

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Calvin, the problem with questions like this is while we have a little information, there just isn't enough to go on here. For instance, do all three bikes fit you? Are they similar size, geometry, etc? It makes a big difference. The best bike that doesn't fit is the worst purchase.

What kind of riding do you think you might like to do? Are you wanting a true road bike? A grocery-getter? Rails to trails type bike? Is a road bike really going to work or would you be better served with a MTB or a hybrid?

So, assuming that they all are the right size, or can be adjusted to accomodate your height, it then boils down to condition, components, personal preference and the like.

The Cannondale is an aluminum frame and likely will be pretty quick, but the ride might be harsher than the other two options. The Gitane and Peugeot, depending upon model, might have a number of French parts and make sourcing replacements a little more challenging.

Are you in a big market where used bikes sell for relatively high prices? Those numbers are higher than I could ever hope to get in my market but might be par for the course in yours.

Finally, your question assumes that you are going to be looking for a new bike. Why is that? What if you find a used one that is more similar to the one that you might be thinking of purchasing new? Bikes (generally) depreciate fairly quickly, depending upon brand of course, and perhaps you can find one that is a year or two old for half the price of a new model.
Thanks for the reply! I'm totally new to cycling, so I have no idea what I'm doing. All three are 58cm. I'm 6', so I think they are in the ballpark. I ride asphalt canal trails and roads. I have an old/cheap MTB bike for grocery runs, errands etc.

Good point about the French parts. I'm in the east SF Bay Area, you cant get a used Big Wheel for under $100, LOL. Very expensive place to live.

I eventually want to get a nice gravel/endurance bike, but want something in the meantime to get miles in on while I save up. If I find a good used one that fits, I might jump on it sooner than later. I keep checking CL for one, but nothing yet and I'm tired of waiting.