View Single Post
Old 12-03-18, 08:46 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OBMD
after reading the further posts i did go ahead and order from bikestorewarehouse for $1948 vs the $2399 at BD at what to my surprise did the shipping information say?
exact same address as BD ! Anyway thanks for all the good info. I have never had a bike with disc brakes- for those of you that have and have purchased this model is it worth trying to
DIY or should I just start with LBS assembly?
Good timing – bike shop warehouse has now raised the price back up to $2399.

As for setting it up yourself or taking it to the LBS, it TOTALLY depends on how comfortable you are with doing some basic wrenching on your bike, but the key thing is that the bike comes without the front brake caliper installed. Centering the caliper on the rotor is NOT rocket science, but it IS tricky to get it right. I would say that’s the hardest part of the job. You’ll also need to do this:

1. Install the handlebars onto the stem and make sure the headset has the proper bearing preload.

2. Install the rotors onto the wheels.

3. Adjust the rear derailleur (the whole thing – low limit, high limit, cable tension).

In addition, from my experience I can say that you might need or want:

A. To shorten the brake hoses (because they will be way too long) which will also require bleeding the SRAM system (you will need a sram bleed kit for this).

B. Check the chain length and perhaps put on a new chain that’s the right length.

If you havent’t ever done this stuff before, you will not be able to do it quickly. Centering the calipers and bleeding the brakes takes time, and you want to do it right. But none of it is impossible to do.