View Single Post
Old 12-04-18, 10:16 AM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneshane
Thanks, I did saw the manual before, but would a slightly too short chain cause a louder drive train?

A short chain will certainly cause more chain noise in the larger cogs. The question is what kind of drive chain noise you are getting: is it the ticking or clicking from an improperly adjusted RD, or is it just the chain on cassette and rings noise of a new drivetrain

my bike shifts ok and just a little bit louder in the front chain ring than I feel a normal drive train would be. And also to mention, I adjusted the derailleur and still some times it does not shift butter smooth, a little bit disappointed, not sure if it’s force1 just like that or my was not setup properly, or the chain length is the problem
SRAM does not design their drivetrains to shift "butter smooth"; those words are a much better description of Shimano. SRAM is aiming for a distinct snick as you go from gear to gear; many SRAM riders hate Shimano's "butter smooth" which seems vague to them compared to the more precise SNAP of the gears on SRAM.

My wife's bike shifts perfectly from gear to gear and has no noise from the derailleur. But the cassette and chain are certainly a bit louder when shifting gears compared to my Shimano bikes. That's normal.

I didn't ride my bike with the too short chain, but I can tell you that in the smaller cogs, the chain length sizing would not make an issue, so if you still have gear shifting or noise issues there, then the problem is coming from somewhere else.