View Single Post
Old 08-12-19, 09:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
What you should do is get a USB ammeter to find out what rate the pack is actually charging at, so you can try different chargers and cables to get as close to 2A as possible.
Very good point. Fully agree.

My last bike tour, I planned to be fully self sufficient on electrics from my dynohub and Sinewave Revolution USB charger that was powered by the dynohub. Before the trip I had estimated all my power needs. And I had checked all my cables to make sure that I did not have any high resistance cables.

After about two and a half weeks of touring, my powerbank was nearly empty, some of my camera batteries were nearly depleted and my phone was low. So much for the self sufficiency plan.

While sitting in a laundry room at a campground I started to plug stuff in to an outlet to get charged up. And I had brought an ammeter with me. And I discovered that I had a high resistance cable along that I did not discover before the trip, that cable was limiting how much power was going into my power bank. Changed to a different cable that I had brought as a spare, that solved all my problems. I did not need to plug into an outlet for the next two weeks and finished my trip with a power bank nearly full, camera batteries charged up, taillight spare batteries charged up, GPS charged, and phone charged up.

Shows how one bad cable can really mess up your plans.