Old 07-02-20, 08:31 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I just started riding...I am two rides in, both around 22 miles, so not particularly long. Averaging 19.8mph solo with roughly 1000ft of vertical (up and down given they are loops). Wind hasn't been a big factor on these rides and I've been able to keep moving without more than 1 or 2 stops at a light or something. I know there are no "typical" numbers, but trying to get a sense for how I'd keep up with a group of much more experienced riders...
There are many variables that come into play with a group ride so it is difficult to make any kind of definitive answer. 20mph over 20-odd miles. Group rides will likely be similar average but over 50-100 miles, depending upon the group. More mileage, more hills to soak up your energy. Drafting will be a huge help as mentioned, but it is a skill to learn and be comfortable with. Hanging off the back will see you likely dropped so best to learn it. If the group is lively and some hard efforts are involved, this will be energy-sapping too in bursts that a steady average won't have allowed for.

In my experience, I'd suggest if you can manage 20mph over 20 miles then you should be ok with weekend group rides. Only way to find out is to try. They are a lot of fun and different groups like different things - some will ride quite easily, not much effort, just out for the social. Others will want to rotate and draft for a decent average - certainly on the way back. Others will see the journey home as a mini-race.