Old 07-13-20, 04:46 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Absolutely some folks are more naturally suited to one aspect of any sport - or specific sport itself - than others. I was always a fast short distance runner as a kid and so took part in 100m, 200m and 400m sprints my whole student life. When I got into cycling, I was quicker than most at sprinting which was unsurprising, more fast-twitch muscle fibres no doubt. This, along with a good power-to-weight ratio and being short and very light enabled me to be punchy on hills too as well as a decent climber albeit not a pure one.

Today I'm not at an ideal racing weight, could lose a few kg, and as such my hill climbing, while not terrible (for example my PR for a local 17km hill, ave 5.5%, 855m high is 50min 32sec so that puts me 374/3803 on Strava) is not the greatest and less than before but short hill sprints, I have plenty of recent KOM's for those.

We all have varying degrees of natural advantage, physically or mentally. Those with the greatest natural abilities are able to make a living from their chosen sport where even at the highest levels, there are standout individuals.
Likes For AlgarveCycling: