Old 03-27-20, 02:17 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
He says it's a 21-inch (54cm). I'm only 5' 6", but I like that size. Is there anything in particular to look out for on the early Allez Epics?
I had one until I sold it when I found a CF Look from the same era (not really any better a bike, just more rare), but also more recently built one up for a friend with 9 speed ultegra. I love them and at that price its a steal.

The things to look out for are:
1. cracks in the seat-post lug: its aluminum and if it gets over-tightened it can crack. not normally a problem if people used the right sized seatpost, but....
2. bubbles or corrosion around the aluminum lugs. Make sure the clearcoat is not pealing. Its easy enough to fix the clearcoat, but if its been open then its letting oxygen in- which can start to break down the epoxy between the CF/Alu Joints. Later models were painted to help with this- so later painted versions tend to be more robust-- but lack the distinctive style of the first era.
3. basic stuck seatpost and stem- again CF and Alu can corrode. this is less a problem about getting them out, but an indication that there is more corrosion in the lugs that you cant see. that the seatpost and quill are clean and easy to move sends a message to me that its been an inside bike well taken care of and the rest is probably also ok,

people either love them or hate them, but you won't know until you try- as its definitely a different riding experience than steel.

the one you are asking has not much for pics so its hard to tell, but that Boston one, I'd totally go buy right now if it was next to me
Likes For jetboy: