View Single Post
Old 07-23-12, 04:42 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
If a group cruising at 19 mph is too slow for you, yeah, you need to ride with the A group. Most B groups ride at a 16-18, maybe 19 pace on the flats.
I think you'll find averages that are all over the map depending on the group(s) in question. The bunch I ride with twice a week has 5 groups - an A, three Bs and a C. I ride with the slowest of the Bs and we average between 17.5 and 18.5, with explicit instructions to whomever wants to pull to keep it at 18-20 mph. While that's only slightly faster than the speeds you mention, keep in mind it's the slowest of three B groups.

To the OP, find a group with numbers that seem to fit your riding, then go out with them to see if they're telling the truth. If it's a good fit, terrific; if it isn't, then you have to decide whether you want to finish before the bunch or after. I'll always pick after, so I have someone to chase and a speed to aspire to. Finishing ahead of the group gets boring fast.

Last edited by CraigB; 07-23-12 at 04:47 PM.