View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 06:20 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 567 Posts
I feel your pain.

”Didn’t see that coming” is precisely it. I was riding home a few weeks ago, and saw a good friend walking out of a sandwich shop. I stopped to say hi and we had a nice long chat. He’s dealing with this *second* surgery for a rotator cuff repair. The last thing I said to him was that so far, I was lucky, but life was strange and could change in an instant.

Not 5 minutes after I left him, some ninny ducked under a barrier and ran in front of me on the bike path. On top of that, the city saw fit to paint the bike path in that spot, and it was flippin slippery. So slippery that when I grabbed the brake, the front wheel slipped right out from under me and I hit the concrete HARD. Jacked up my left wrist, and my left hip ... bad.

After the shock wore off, I was able to get up (why are people always trying to pick you up when you fall rather than let you get up yourself), and walk around without significant pain. I was probably in shock, as I made the rather foolish decision to ride home from there.

The next day, it was sore to say the least. It hurt to walk on it or even move it. My friends talked me into an ER visit. The good news is that they found no broken bones. I asked if it was OK to ride my bike, and they said to take an Advil and let pain be my guide. Big mistake ... I had planned a 115 mile 13,500 day the next day. Lol. Believe it or not, it wasn’t painful to ride on.

But oy, did it hurt to walk on it. Holy crap ... hip pain is nasty. Almost fainted once. It’s just now getting to the point where I really don’t notice it and can walk around normally. And it has been 3 weeks.

“Didn’t see that one coming” is right. I don’t bounce the way I used to, and feel like I dodged a bullet.