Old 10-30-16, 02:55 AM
bw00ds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with #15, I'm surprised at the negative reactions and anti-social replies to you. I've been a high school teacher for 23 years and these kids need more human interaction. There's nothing "creepy" or wrong about saying hello to them and nothing wrong with your goal to get one of them to say hi back. I obviously disagree with those who say it is not your "right." Well, big whoop if you are trying to get interaction with them, what does it hurt? Why do people choose to be unfriendly?

Here's the deal: According to the time you say you are passing them, I would just say they are in a fog at that time of the day. They are not fully awake yet. Now if you had been passing them around 8:45 instead...

Keep trying. I didn't bother to check what state or city you live in, but I'm glad to hear that you are being cheerful on your way to work and doing your best to not be a non-big city cold personality. If someone chooses not to acknowledge you and say hi back, that's their choice. I, too, have that ritual. On my hour commute to work, I say hi to whoever I pass by in either direction. I would say most, around 75% for me, say hi back. That's from an informal count over the last year. These include joggers, walkers, dog walkers, waiting bus riders, yard care personnel, other cyclists, and more serious cyclists (wearing cycle spandex), etc. etc. Speaking of the latter, I find that they are the most unfriendly. I would say they are polar opposite. I get about only a 25% response from them. Everyone else is way more friendly. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised at the reactions you have been getting here.

Last edited by bw00ds; 10-30-16 at 02:58 AM.