Old 10-31-16, 08:15 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
OP,
I don't think your enthusiasm to greet those kids is weird, or creepy, or wrong.

However, some people (as evidenced in this thread) take offense at ordinary, friendly gestures. I don't think you can be blamed for that.

Also......

Originally Posted by thenomad

When they mature and become confident in who THEY are, they will choose to be courteous as a rule, or not.
I think this is an excellent observation. Do you remember what High school was like? It's like the most insecure time in your life. Kids eat one another alive if they can.... bullying, depression, eating disorders, performance anxieties, and maybe even more shocking things like bomb threats and gun violence in schools are a pretty common part of the modern teenager's everyday life. Unless your the golden "popular kid" I doubt anyone really wants to go there. I was an excellent student, but high school was still a very lonely place fraught with soul crushing defeats.

They might not be able to respond, but I'd wager it's good for them to see someone "on the other side" who is still cheerful and optimistic enough about life to smile and say good morning. As thenomad says, just be kind to them because it's the kind thing to do. For that I say you want and are doing an honorable thing.

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 10-31-16 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarity