View Single Post
Old 09-23-15, 10:25 PM
Michael Novo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Upgrading from Trek 7.4 FX

I'm coming off of a 3 week old Trek 7.4 Fireblade Orange ride. A pickup truck driver decided that checking his cell phone was a good idea as he began to roll from a stop sign and accelerated full force, fortunately into just the rear wheel as I made my way through the intersection and totaling the bike. Time to hop back on!

Initially I thought of going with the 7.4 again as it was a fine ride but then began thinking about how I've been riding over the last month vs previously on my mountain bike.

Currently 90% paved trails and the rest on packed limestone in good shape. I'm moving from the burbs to Chicago so I will be commuting as well. When I go out for a ride I find that I enjoy doing 20-25 miles and now starting to push further (initially I thought I'd be riding 10-20 max). I'm certainly not racing anyone out there but I do find that I enjoy going a bit faster. I'm tired at the end by a 25 mile ride I was averaging about 14.75 mph and wishing I could push a bit faster.

I began looking at the 7.5 FX as I enjoyed the test ride I took on it but figured if I go to that price range, some other bikes are worth a gander.

6' 3" former power lifter will be cutting weight from 260 down to about 220 lbs

Considering the Trek FX 7.5 of course. Not too far away from that I'm considering //

Specialized Elite Carbon ($300 more than 7.5)
Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 ($470 more)

Anyone make that hop? I would have ridden the 7.4 happily without a second though for quite some time but with the extra bit of insurance payout I can swing up a level or so. Thoughts?