Old 02-18-16, 12:06 AM
prankster

Bikes: 2017 Spez Allez Sagan Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lesson learned from using sealant(s)

Just wanna share my recent experience with 2 brands of sealant for those who run tubeless. I have always used stan's sealant on my mtb. It works great. No complain.

Late last year, I ran tubeless for road bike. I have ultegra 6800 wheelset, which has a UST standard. I had read that some people had corrosion on their rims using stan's sealant. However, a lot of people did not have issue. I wanted to be on the safe side. Therefore, I used Orange sealant which claimed to be ammonia free, hence, free of corrosion. It has a good review as well from Velonews and several online blogs. Just to be clear, Stan's claimed that their sealant cause no corrosion as well. However, that ammonia...

There was no puncture whatsoever all this time, so I thought it worked but I got no way of proofing it. Until, this afternoon, I noticed there was a piece of glass embedded in the tire. So I pulled it out and the Orange sealant squirted out. I rotated the wheel so the puncture was at the bottom. I waited for some time but it didn't seal it. It just kept leaking out the sealant until the air was almost gone. I had rotated the wheel hoping the centrifugal force would help the sealant to attack the puncture but nope.

I had enough. I removed the valve and pour in Stan's sealant. It worked right away. It sealed the puncture in seconds. I stopped hearing the hissing noise as I was pumping.

Maybe this is just an isolated case but I think I'm gonna be using Stan's sealant from now on. It is way cheaper as well.