Old 01-10-17, 05:06 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OshkoshBiker
I may be taking this ammonia thing too far, however, ammonia causes hydrogen embrittlement when it is in contact with aluminum. Over time aluminum alloy loses it's elasticity. Something I learned in aviation mechanics school.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have only used Orange Seal. I have had no issues. My LBS recommended it and that's what they use. I have been concerned about the corrosion ammonia causes on aluminum and that Stans supposedly had ammonia and Orange seal did not. Earlier last year I called Orange Seal and talked to the guy directly and he said "No manufacturer will endorse ANY sealant in their rims but that Shimano had recently said that the only sealant they would approve of was Orange Seal". He didn't say they endorsed it or anything like that but that Shimano was saying they felt it wouldn't hurt their rims. Can someone shed the light on the truth? Does Stans really cause an issue? I have expensive wheels on my bikes and I would be pissed if i changed tires and saw pitting from corrosion.