Old 01-10-17, 11:05 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
I've used both Stan's and Orange Seal in Stan's wheels (aluminum) and Crankbrothers Cobalt 3 (aluminum) and Cobalt 11 wheels (carbon). I too panicked especially with the aluminum ones. I had Stan's in their wheels for a year and half and in the Crankbrothers aluminum for 8 months. Neither had any hint of corrosion. Nonetheless, I put Orange Seal in both for peace of mind. It too, shows no corrosion after a year's use. FWIW, my carbon wheels aren't effected by either (pretty much shouldn't be affected by anything except petroleum-based stuff). Anyway, I ran out of Orange Seal and put Stan's back in the aluminum rims with still zero effect. Two LBSs told me that they have never seen any damage from Stan's and they go back and forth using Stan's and Orange Seal on both personal and customer bikes. As for sealing and boogers, overall, Stan's seals quicker to me but boogers up more or produces stanimals aka Stan's coral inside tires. I haven't seen that with Orange Seal, it just dries up. I have seen Stan's turn clear yellow in two tires with no trace of tan latex left but it still did seal punctures. This was on the same bike and from the same bottle but only on a rear wheel. Stan's rep could not explain it. Bottomline, I'm ok with using both products. There's a new sealant out on the market from Red Monkey who make mtb grips called Monkey Goo. It's ammonia free and looks good in their youtube video. Price is a couple bucks less than OS.
That's promising to know. Thanks for the info.