View Single Post
Old 01-19-20, 03:51 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
More surface area, yes. But the profile means that the rim cuts through goop better and the steeper sloped slides make goop want to slide off it more.
I may be missing some subjective experience but surely the centrifugal force of a turning wheel is way stronger than gravity that would cause it to slide off. I mean - if it wasn’t than we wouldn’t need mudguards much. May it just be that deep section rims happen to have no flat spoke bed which causes the mud to slide off one side or another? But then any rim with any depth with such cross section should be just fine.

There's also the reality that carbon rims can be made the same weight as alloy rims and be deeper (potential aero gains). Or they can be the same depth and lighter. So there isn't necessarily even a weight penalty...
This was the reason why I posted the question. If it turns out the aerodynamics effects are negligible and I were to focus on weight savings, what would be the best example of low profile carbon rim and how much lighter would it be than comparable alloy one?

From a wheel building POV, CF rims come out of the box straight consistently...versus even nice alloy rims that don't.
So they are easier to build for the people selling them to me at potentially higher margin?