Old 07-06-20, 05:57 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
Something I've been leery about lately when switching to upright bars is how the frame takes the new directions of stress. I've had a few taller frames exhibit some pretty noticeable frame flex when converted to IGH and North Road bar bikes. I never saw any real data on how rider position affects frame stress, but I did have a down tube break off at the BB shell on one bike with Champion #2 tubing, and had a Schwinn Volare frame loose a right chainstay at the BB shell. both were tall 26 and 25cm frames.
I tend to look at 23" frames as the ideal upright conversion size for me because they're just a more rigid frame in most cases.
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Both bikes seem like solid models, not bottom of the barrel offerings. Do you live in an environment where rust could have played a factor? Were they road dwellers or did any of them spend time bouncing around off road (or just off curbs). I've put plenty of Average Athletic Joe power through most every bike of mine, from high effort climbing to big ring sprinting, and my Paramount--my oldest bike and one that had one hub in the grave by the time it got dragged into the co-op--hasn't broken or shown any signs of giving up. Maybe you got unlucky, twice. I think IGH and upright should be fine as it's been done for many years with 'inferior' tubing and QC.