Old 07-06-20, 09:03 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm aiming for a much more regal look if I ever nail the fenders I want for it. I've already accepted that I'm not finding the accordion-pattern fenders I had in mind. Grand Bois seems to be the next choice.

Funny thing, been experiencing fender withdrawal syndrome with my new PX10 project. I envisioned it with a pair of fenders, but it's driving me nuts without them - enough that I had to Photoshop a pair of fenders on it just to appease myself.

But back to the discussion about fit - I finally dug up an ancient picture (2003/4?) of a 25" Nishiki Prestige I flipped. This wasn't final saddle position, and I had to slam the saddle from where you see it here to ride it. But if you can imagine that saddle position - more or less level with the stem - I found this to be one of the most comfortable and stable machines I'd ever been on. Most importantly, being in the drops was downright comfy. I didn't feel stretched out or curled up.

By comparison, this is the fit I usually go for on my 58-60cm rigs, and I'm pretty sure the saddle here is lower than it needs to be be for my liking:

That's something like a 5" drop. By comparison, Being in the hoods (HAH!) on this bike is more or less the same position as I would be on the Prestige.

-Kurt
I have saved this photo before because the bike is just so beautiful. If I could get a 27"/66-67cm frame to not be too long in the top tube, this is the look I'd go for. Saddle and stem low over the top tube. Just a little bit of back to front rake to give it 'motion' standing still. If I could wish my Paramount just a little bit taller, it'd be grand. I mean, I'm still making it work well enough so far, and have some more to go, including putting fenders on, but still.