Old 06-27-18, 02:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Fantastic! I just watched a documentary about a team participating in the RAAM. Seems like it's as tough mentally as physically.

For photos I'd be tempted to mount a video camera with single shot or time lapse mode to conserve the battery and snap a record along the way.

That Team RANS bike looks more like something I'd enjoy. While I'm recovering from a shoulder injury (I was clobbered by a car in May, grade 4 separation and break) a friend loaned me his Trek R200 recumbent to try whenever my shoulder had healed enough to hold a bar but wanted to avoid any pressure. So I tried it Sunday.

That. Was. Terrifying.

The combination of a short wheelbase and pedals ahead of the front wheel made handling impossibly twitchy. And there was no way to brake safely at any speed faster than 10 mph. The entire handlebar and stem assembly would pivot forward. My butt would slide forward off the seat. The only way to brace myself was with my feet against the pedals, but I needed to lower my feet as I slowed to stop.

I tried it only for awhile in our parking lot, which is slightly sloped so I could do the Fred Flintstone foot paddle rolling start. But after several tries I gave up. And my shoulder hurt worse than ever, mostly from the tension. I suppose one gets accustomed to it. Many owners have described the Trek R200 as a relaxed riding bike. But I'll never try that particular recumbent again. I might try one with a longer wheelbase, wheel ahead of the feet and foot-forward design. Eventually I suspect my old neck injury will force me onto a recumbent. But not the R200.

However trying the R200 did have one side benefit. It motivated me to finish overhauling my comfort hybrid so I'd have a soft riding bike for my first few rides as the shoulder injury recovers.