Old 04-01-20, 06:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,295 Times in 3,631 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Old style saddle clamps, even Brooks, are cheap hardware. Lean on the wrench and no way to tell what’s tightening torque and what is just binding and interference. Grease works too but the wrench feel is just not as good and then you have loose grease collecting dirt. I use wax on the serrations as well. Again it improves wrench feel. Also since I started doing that old clamps that had previously slipped become serviceable. You might posit that wax on the serrations changes vibration or harmonics or posit anything you like, seems to work.
Certainly a cheap design but the brooks version will take a lot of torque imo, whether it transmits to a snug adjustment is a whole other thing.

I took it apart and put a fair amount of anti-seize on the nuts and threads of the center shaft, found a better fitting 15mm wrench and applied a serious amount of torque to get it far tighter than it has been before, I think it will hold a lot better, the feel was much better tightening it and was smooth with no binding that I felt, we'll see.