View Single Post
Old 06-02-20, 10:17 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I picked up a cheap set of Chinese carbon wheels from Superteam a month ago. 38mm depth, rim brake, tubeless ready. They're around 1550g.
They were $329 shipped via Amazon prime.

These replaced a set of Ultegra WH-6800 wheels that I've had on a cantilever CX bike for like 5 years. The rims are 23mm wide and I've run both 28mm GP5000's and 33mm Donnelly MXP's on them. I'm not sure the weight difference, but the new wheels are noticeably lighter in my hands.

They arrived well packaged and perfectly true. I've had them out on a handful of road and gravel rides so far, maybe 200 miles total. They spin up fast, braking performance in dry weather is decent using their included pads. I live in a flat area and generally avoid riding in wet weather, so I'm not super concerned about rim braking on carbon wheels. In dry weather on flat roads, the braking is nearly the same as it was with my aluminum wheels. I doubt they've really made me any faster, but they look nice and were super cheap, which was my primary goal. I'm also probably not getting much aero benefit due to my tire/rim size difference, but again... not the primary goal. Zipp and Enve make some really great wheels and if I had an expensive road bike I'd probably drop the cash on a name brand and make sure my tire/rim sizes were optimized for max aero benefits, but for a cheaper/older bike I would not hesitate to buy another set of generic carbon wheels.