View Single Post
Old 03-22-20, 07:16 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
"I know better, but I'm going to go out anyway."

A couple of years ago my teammate was out solo. He crashed. No one knows how, He broke his neck and died.

Here, yesterday: " Forest ranger Scott Van Laer has tweeted that there is a search on Mount Marcy taking place today."

This is why you're suppose to stay home. If you get hurt hospitals are only doing emergency surgeries, one would be taking up hospital and/or emergency resources that could otherwise be used. And people are coming together in a way that could encourage the spread of the virus.
I’m not sure if this is directed at me but I don’t entirely disagree with you. We just got our most restrictive lock down order yesterday from LA County to basically be shelter in place. Although it still specifically states that solo or family outdoor activity including cycling is ok. I think the public health department is trying to keep people mentally well. But I had a “nothing” crash last summer- nothing happened, was with friends, and I tied up a hospital bed for a day.

And “I want” to ride of course.

The “I wants” is the crux of the problem for Western societies. We are so focused on the individual in the west that it’s hard to retool our brains to understand that right now the priority must be on the group (aka the population) over the individual. It’s no longer about what “I want” and is about “what is best for the overall population”.

Sigh. All those delicious quiet open roads that are so lush and green right now...