a3inverter

Bikes: More than the boss realizes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Tall Order - Selecting a Steel Cross Frameset

Greetings all,

I'm in the market for a new steel cross frameset and I need some advice to narrow down my selections. I'm not a racer, love gravel, trail-riding and that sort of thing. I'm 6'4" with a 94cm PBH and I like my bars equal with my saddle, so very focused on the frame stack and ETT dimensions. I want to be able to fit big tires (up to 40c?) and maximize my spare parts bin usage. Budget for the frameset is about $600. Doesn't have to be a super stiff frame - comfort and weight are important. Not having a mile of spacers is also important.

Framesets I'm currently looking at:

Soma Double Cross Canti - 62cm
Soma Double Cross Disc - 66cm
Black Mountain Monster Cross - 65cm

These aren't cross bikes but more Sport/Touring:
Soma ES - 64cm
Soma San Marcos - 63cm

If the Double Cross Canti came in 66cm, I'd already have made my decision.

The DCD gives me all the size I want, but I'd have to invest in a whole disc setup (not in the parts bin). Plus, I hear lots of complaints about never getting rotors true and I don't dig the color.

I love the BMC MC, but it requires 130mm hubs (135's wouldn't really fit) so I'd have to potentially build up some new wheels (not in the parts bin)

The ES hits all the size requirements, I've got some long reach Tektro calipers in the bin, I'd just be limited on the tire width (Soma says "fits 32mm with fenders" - not sure how big without)

The San Marcos...just looks cool. With the 2013 frames selling for $650 and free shipping, this is tantalizing. Double Top Tubes FTW!

I have a Surly LHT 62cm that is a little heavier than I like and just a tiny bit small - bought it off CL with the fork steerer cut down a bit...could probably use one more 10mm spacer. I'll likely harvest parts of this for the future frameset.

Anyways, interested to hear some opinions from tall guys who have experience with these frames, or would like to suggest others that hit the main criteria.

Thanks!